Monday, July 1, 2013

Do What You LOVE!

There have been many times that I've heard others tell me, "I wish I could write a book." My question to them is, "Then why don't you?" This question is followed with, "I don't have the time with work, the kids, ________!" (fill in the blank)

My ANSWER to them is the same....you MUST find the time to do whatever it is that you love. If you keep hearing your inner voice telling you to try something, then DO IT! I used to write in the wee hours before work and anytime that I could fit it in. It was a part of me that I couldn't squelch. So, if the issue is that you have kids to get off to school in the morning, get up an hour earlier and go to a room where you can have some peace and quiet to write or do artwork, or....that's how I got stuck on my early morning writing regimen! I had always been a light sleeper, and then when my 24 year marriage was falling apart, I had a terrible case of Monkey Brain at 2 or 3 a.m., which was NOT conducive to my 40+ hour work schedule. So, I decided that I wasn't going to fight my insomnia - I'd get up, put the tea kettle on, light some candles, sip tea and write for as long as I felt the urge to. Sometimes it was for only for fifteen minutes, but most times I'd write until the alarm clock went off. I'm not going to lie. The first few days, I was dragging by the end of the day, but my body and spirit grew accustomed to the "me time" and then it became a habit, which I follow to this day. I find that I am most creative in the wee hours before dawn, but you will need to find your "me time"...could be during your lunch hour - lower the fluorescent lights in your office, close the door, (put a Do Not Disturb sign on it if you have to!) eat your lunch while you enjoy letting your creative juices flow. Are you a soccer mom or dad? Sit in the stands and jot down any ideas that pop into your head - then transcribe them at another time. One of my friends is on the direct opposite of my schedule...she is energized by the moonlight so when she is in the mood to write her poetry, she gravitates to the porch in her nightgown and lets the words flow into her journals.

Yes, the daily grind can overwhelm us and make us wonder, "Is this all there is to life?" No, it is NOT! Many artists and writers will tell you that the majority of their work was fit into their hectic schedules and they still did it! So, my question to you is, "When are you going to set aside some time for YOU and your dreams and aspirations?" Just DO IT! You are soooo worthy of living your authentic life! The love is there....XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment